Tellington TTouch is a unique approach to animal training and care developed by internationally recognized trainer and author, Linda Tellington-Jones. Based on a philosophy of compassion and respect for our animal friends, this gentle method promotes well-being and adaptive behavior through a functional approach that helps to reduce stress and build confidence. The foundation of the Tellington Method is a specific form of bodywork known as TTouch, which induces a state of relaxation and release of physical tension. The combination of the TTouch body work with unique movement exercises improves focus and awareness, allowing optimal learning to take place. The Tellington TTouch Method also provides people with a wonderful means of deepening the bond they share with their animal companions.
How does The Tellington TTouch Method work?
Many behavioral issues are related to states of fear, anxiety, and/or hyper-arousal. Whether it is a horse, dog, or cat, the first step in helping your animal is to reduce the physiological arousal associated with these emotional states. Many times training is not effective until a calmer, more balanced state can be achieved in which the animal is receptive to learning. Tellington TTouch addresses this principle by focusing on the reduction of muscle tension, lowering arousal, and influencing both physical and mental balance. TTouch can also be useful in assisting older animals to remain as functional as possible, and for support during recovery from injury or illness. Consider TTouch for a variety of issues:
- Resistance to handling or grooming.
- Fear of strangers or new environments.
- Inability to cope with Veterinary visits.
- Over-excitement or reactive responses to other dogs (or other animals).
- Poor performance in competitive events due to stress responses.
- Fear of loud noises and thunderstorm phobia.
- Inability to be transported in a vehicle or trailer.
- Issues with aging and loss of balance/mobility.